What is VPN?
Get more from the Internet—especially privacy, anonymity and safety—by using a VPN before you do anything online!
Who doesn't love the Internet? It delivers information, answers, entertainment and connections to you, on demand, in seconds.
From anywhere and at any time from our desktop computers, laptops, smartphone and tablets.
It's a life-saver for students of all ages, moms, businesses, organizations...everyone.
But the Internet is not perfect. It has some built-in flaws that make you vulnerable when you're online. You should know that, because hackers, government and other snoopers and advertisers take full advantage it.
A VPN changes that for you!
But you can make the Internet safer, more secure and definitely more private with the help of a VPN...a virtual private network.
You've probably been hearing more and more about VPNs for home use and travel. That's because it's more important than ever to be smarter and safer while you're on the Internet.
More than that, don't you want to go on the Internet without being tracked, monitored, and identified...without your knowledge? In today's world, that freedom is getting harder to find.
Here's a quick, helpful definition...and about all you need to know about a VPN.
- A VPN is a service that you sign up for online for a small monthly charge
- Once you have an account, your VPN service should be "on" when you're online
- A VPN, in action, takes your Internet connection and makes it more secure, helps you stay anonymous and helps you get around blocks and access censored sites.
- The key to a VPN is that it lends you a temporary IP address and hides your true IP address from every website or email you connect with
It's Virtual...because it's as if you have a private connection directly to any website or another computer you connect to.
It's Private...because all your website visits and online activity is between you and the websites you visit.
It's a Network...because you're using a special network of VPN servers that covers the entire globe.
Your IP address is a potential problem. You may want to hide it.
Your IP address is a behind-the-scenes number your Internet provider assigns your computer that allows you to go anywhere on the Internet. It's something like the house number on your home.
That's the good news. The somewhat "bad" news is that your IP address also gives away your computing location, at home or on the road. That bothers a lot of computer users.
Because governments have tracked people down by their IP address, with the help of the person's Internet Service Provider.
Also, online businesses of all kinds monitor activity coming from IP addresses. They may not know your name, but they know you like their website.
Online companies and networks can (and do) restrict someone's access to a website based on where the user is located. Guess how they know where the user is? Right...the user's IP address.
Finally, hackers can break into networks and sometimes take over devices through its IP address.
As hard as IT experts, Internet providers and technology companies try, the Internet is not as safe or private as you wish it should be.
As you can see, we don't have nearly enough privacy, or security, as we'd like.
A virtual private network levels the playing field.
However, when you go online using a VPN account, you tilt the scales in your favor. A VPN account can instantly and continuously provide...
- More privacy. Your connections cannot be linked to your computer...and you. You can visit any website and your ISP doesn't know where you've been.
- More security. VPN connections are super secure. The network is hack proof and all of your Internet activity is encrypted (coded) and unreadable in transit.
- More website access. No more blocks or censorship. They can't prevent from getting to websites based an IP address.
- More anonymity. Your true IP address is hidden! You're unidentifiable online because you're constantly using a different IP address, never your own. In fact, it typically looks as if you're in a different part of the world from where you really are.
Here's the best part. Everything else about your Internet experience stays virtually the same.
But you will have so much more going for you.
Getting a VPN is a snap. Do it NOW.
Remember, you don't need to switch the Internet Provider Service you use at home or the office to connect to the Internet.
You also don't need to buy any new equipment, like a modem or router, or hire some squad of geeks to hook you up to anything.
It's all done online. In minutes.
Or, you can...
- Explore VPN provider choices online
- Pick a provider and one of their plans
- Set up your VPN account and start using the Internet with total confidence
VPN providers offer different types of plans depending on how many smart devices you want to use your VPN on and if you want to pay month to month.
Save now with our special offer.
At WhatIsMyIPaddress.com, com, we can help you sign up for a VPN and save.
- Visit our VPN recommended list of VPN providers and get a special discount when you sign up.
- Or go to our Hide My IP page to learn more about hiding your IP address with a VPN.
The more you know about the Internet, you'll realize that using a VPN is a smart idea.